Electrical machines which consumes electrical energy and converts it into mechanical energy is widely known as Electric motors. The process comprises the interaction between the magnetic fields set up in the windings of the stator and rotor.
The demand for electric motors has experienced a steady rise. Due to strict electric consumption standards, urgency in the reduction of green house gas effects and its positive approach has been the major causes for the growth in industrial production and expansion of electric motors market.
Types of electric motors and their classifications
• A.C. Motors: This type of motors are comparatively lighter in weight, cheaper and commonly used for heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) purposes because of its relatively smaller size. AC motors’ productions and sales record the largest revenue share in the market of electric motors in 2012.
• D.C. Motors: This type belongs to the origin of electric motors and was used widely throughout the globe. D.C. motors are majorly used in toys, elevators, electric vehicles, and in mills to drive the steel rollers.
• Hermetic motors: To meet the industrial and commercial demand for cooling factories, office buildings and even when to chill water, hermetic motors are widely used. In an estimated period, Hermetic motors have recorded the fastest compound annual growth rate (CAGR) 8.5% just because of its efficiency and its demand from HVAC manufacturers which always depicts a positive growth curve.
Growth in India
In India, the Industrial motor manufacturers are expecting progress and development in next five to ten years. The country is a developing one and the government launched many projects on cement, power, construction and many other industrial activities.
According to researchers, a large portion of the motor industry, in India, depends on few unorganized sectors that have which has great turnovers with huge national and international support. Meanwhile, the government earns decent revenue by exporting electric motors.
• India is a country dependent on its agriculture. This profession demands irrigation resulting in the rise of production and sales of electric motors.
• The actual reason for an attractive Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is the availability of resources and good labors.
• Motor vehicles accounted for the largest application segment for electric motors in the calendar year of 2012. In emerging countries such as India, the demand for electric vehicles hence electric motors is rising rapidly because of excessive pollution and high fuel price.
Industrial Motors Market and its segments
Low Voltage motors:
• IE1 Motors: In 2010, IE1 motors had a market share of 55%, approximately because of its standard efficiency of 77.2%, augmenting to its widest applications.
• IE2 Motors: By 2015, the IE2 low voltage motors’ market was growing tremendously with an estimated growth of 60%. IE2 motors have high-efficiency rate of 82.8% making it a better choice.
Medium Voltage Motors:
The maximum market share among medium voltage motors was acquired by 105kW to 1.5kW motors. The share was about 26% while generating revenue of 1.05 billion U.S. dollars.
Industrial uses of electric motors and geographical demand
Industrial motor manufacturers have observed a substantial growth in oil and gas industries, after the expansion of oil reserves. Electric motors are further used in industries like pulp and paper, chemical, metal, and mining and to generate power.
Because of large scale productions in China and other south-east Asian countries, the largest share of the market belongs to the Asia-Pacific region. This growth is followed on by countries of Europe and America, accordingly.