Meaning of EPDM
The words EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. It is a type of synthetic rubber. EPDM is used in different applications. It is most importantly used in the construction and automotive industries. This synthetic rubber is typically used for window and door seals, waterproofing sheets and electrical gaskets.
EPDM is highly preferred as a material among engineers for its unbeatable features. The preferred characteristic of EPDM is that they are versatile and can be used in many ways based on the industrial requirement.
Important feature of EPDM
EPDM or in other words a thermoset elastomer is amenable in many ways. When thermoset elastomer is vulcanized it provides amazing physical properties. EPDM material is light in terms of weight thus offering a final product that is longer. The lightweight feature of EPDM helps in its application greatly.
In seal International, a prominent manufacturer of EPDM offers a wide range of synthetic rubber, the word M stands for M – Class. EPDM is widely used in both domestics as well as in industrial application.
The prominent features of EPDM are as follows:
- In EPDM the content of ethylene is between 45 to 75 per cent
- The presence of higher ethylene content allows the higher possibility for loading polymer, better mixing and extrusion.
- The amorphous polymer is good for processing
- EPDM is highly motivated by their molecular structure
- The dienes present in EPDM typically compromises of 2.5 wt% and up to 12wt% of the composition serves when curing with sulphur and resin. When diene is cured with peroxide it acts as a cogent that provides resistance to unwanted tackiness or flows during usage.
- In comparison with their amorphous counterpart peroxide curing of polymer gives EPDM higher cross-linking density.
Different profiles of EPDM in terms of their application
- The foremost application of EPDM made by In seal International is Bus bodybuilding. The rubber is designed in a way that it offers good sealing without getting influenced by temperature, climate condition and vibrations. The rubber is also zone resistance; thereby they do not crack when exposed to heat and water.
- The next profile of EPDM is in the architectural building. EPDM has multiple applications under this profile. It is widely used for sealing against dust, water and winds. EPDM has excellent grip and is widely used to hold aluminum to glass for sealing. The best part of EPDM rubber used in this profile is that the rubber can withstand against harsh weather and extreme heat.
- EPDM is also used in the storage and preservation sector. EPDM rubber are used in containers to seal and prevent air, moisture, dust or any other articles entering into it and thereby protecting the quality of the article stored in the container.
- In the same way, EPDM Profiles India is also used in solar water heaters. They are used for sealing and preventing the entry of air, moisture or any other element into the heater which can damage its functioning. This synthetic rubber is an excellent material that is widely used for protecting the heater.
EPDM has become better with age
EPDM has been around for more than 45 years now. Earlier EPDM user found an issue with using it, especially in terms of moisture gain under the flat membrane of EPDM. This problem was widely found when used to roofs with air conditioning system beneath it. EPDM did not seal well in this condition and led to a major issue. But as the product evolved so did the quality of the EPDM. Today the flat membrane of EPDM available in the market is significantly advanced.
The present-day EPDM fleece back is being manufactured with a combination of polyester fleece banking and hot melts adhesive technology. With zero shrinkage and impressive stretching quality, the seaming of EPDM membrane has become very easy and simple
As the withstanding ability of the EPDM membrane is increased so is their resistance to wear and tear and puncture holes. The life of EPDM has been tremendously increased in recent times.
Application of EPDM rubber
EPDM rubber is mainly used indoors and for roof installation. But the advance features of the synthetic rubber its applications have widened. Today EPDM is being used outdoor more extensively. EPDM rubber can be considered alternate material for roofing material.
EPDM rubber is very flexible and can be used to fulfil any needs of buildings. This feature is the main reason for using EPDM in commercial buildings, houses and even in RV’s.
EPDM is gaining a lot of momentum, as previous issued faced by the customers are rectified with the help of technology and research. EPDM roof should be maintained regularly but the cost of maintaining one is less expensive. Lastly, EPDM is easy to apply with the help of rubber glue or other adhesive.Tags: EPDM profile exporters, EPDM Profile manufacturers, EPDM Profiles India, Solid EPDM profiles