Pultrusion is a continuous process of molding, whereby reinforcing fibers are saturated with the help of liquid polymer resins and then carefully formed and pulled through a heated die to form a part. GRP Pultruded Profiles are straight constant cross-section parts of shippable lengths. It gives a sustainable and long lasting product. The word comes from a combination of two words “pull” and “extrusion”.
The process of intrusion is achieved by a series of necessary steps that tend to gear up towards creating a quality FRP product. It gives quality products that are reliable and lasts long. The process goes through the steps mentioned below:
- Performing guides: The material spools and all reinforcements are threaded into a machine known as the tension roller. This tension roller helps in shaping the pultrusions that would soon turn into finished GRP Pultruded Profiles.
- Impregnation and resin bath: The fiberglass is met with a mixture of resin. The resin which is also referred to as “wet out” would soak and permeate the unfinished product. This impregnating stage of the pultrusion tends to utilize different types of resins such as polyesters and vinyl esters. Pigments are used to add color and enhance the product’s appearance at this point. Catalysts that assist in curing or solidifying the profile also add up to the mix. This plays an important role in protecting the final GRP Pultruded Profiles from corrosion, harmful UV rays, and other issues of impact.
- Exposure to heat: In this process, the unfinished material is exposed to heat. This step of passing through the hot die is pivotal to the pultrusion process as it helps in creating the hard shape of the material.
- Caterpillar pull mechanism and cutting saw: Now the cured profile is advanced along pull mechanism. The final step of the prices includes cutting the profile with a cutting saw. Here the profile is cut to appropriate lengths and a finished product is obtained.
The above steps describe thoroughly the complete process of pultrusion and a final product of finished fiberglass reinforced polymer is obtained.
Pultruded products are in wide usage these days as they come up with a variety of benefits. They are lighter to transport and most effectively have a low cost of installation and maintenance. It is used in places or environments where there is a risk of corrosion or damage due to the presence of harsh environmental conditions or fire. It’s spark resistant property makes it free to be used in places of electric or fire sparks. It’s characteristics also makes it last a longer span of time than most other metals. These easily replace metals like aluminum and steel in the market.
Some of the applications of pultruded products are as follows:
- Highway structures- pro deck bridge system and auto sky way
- Utility poles
- Wind energy
- Blast protection of structures
- Decking for navy and marina
- Sea blazing
- Army bridging
- Air force towers
- Bridge deck
- Abutment panel
- Dowel bar
- Pole and post
- Signboard and signpost
- Guardrail system
- Sound barrier
- Drainage system (pipe, culvert)
GRP Pultruded Profiles have had an increase in demand in recent years. It is highly durable and has character traits of glass fiber polymer, hence it is a clear advantage to the customer to go for a pultruded product. The manufacturing process of pultruded products is convenient, efficient, and low cost in comparison to other products in the market. The continuous process of pultrusion reduces the manufacturing cost and also makes the product Eco-friendly. It also produces high-quality products, reduces high-quality satisfaction for customers.