If you are looking forward to set up the wiring and cabling for your new home, make sure you choose the right type of wiring based on the size, weather conditions and availability. It is always advisable to seek expert guidance from the premium wires and cables manufacturers. These cabling may be of copper or aluminium based on indoor or outdoor cabling. The various types of wires and cables which are most popularly used in domestic wiring and cabling purposes are summarized as below:
Romex Cables – This is one of the most commonly used cabling component for domestic purposes. These are electrical conductors with non-metallic sheathing used in residential branch wiring. The features of Romex cables can be described as below:
- Romex cables, being the most popular in housing cables and wiring, has been categorized as underground feeder (UF) or non-metallic sheathed cable (NM and NMC) by the National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Both NM and NMC conductors comprise of two or more insulated conductors within a non-metallic sheath. The coating on an NMC is generally non-conducting, flame-resistant and moisture-resistant. These are considered in domestic and residential cables and wiring because they are safe for use in damp environments and basements.
- The underground feeder conductors are quite similar to NM and NMC cables, however the only distinguishing fact is that underground feeder cables have a solid plastic core which you cannot actually roll between the fingers like the other types of cables and wires.
There are certain regulations by the NEC which apply to the ROMEX cables and these need to be checked for while you are finalising and purchasing the ROMEX for your homes.
- The ROMEX should be protected and covered, also need to be clamped to the device boxes, junction boxes and fixtures
- The support devices like bent nails and overdriven staples are not allowed to be used with ROMEX, as they might damage the cables
- Both NM and NMC must be secured at intervals such that they do not exceed 4½ feet, also they need to be secured within 12 inches of junction boxes, panels and other components to which they are attached. If they are not secured at the mentioned measurements, they might sag after some time and will also be vulnerable to electricity short circuits or damages to the cables itself
- ROMEX are absolutely suitable for permanent wiring in residential projects and should not be considered for alternatives for appliance wiring or extension cords
Low voltage Wires – These are generally considered for circuits which require running voltage of 50 V or even lesser. The most common application areas of low voltage wires in residential properties are lighting wire, bell wire (for doorbells), and thermostat wiring. These are generally insulated and are contained in a sheath. These are mostly available in pairs like that of a lamp cord wire.
Thermoplastic heat resistant or Thermoplastic highly heat resistant – The other categories include Thermoplastic heat resistant and highly heat resistant which are nylon coated and well suited for wet areas. These are used in basements, garages, wiring connections for garbage disposers and hot water heater applications.
Go for the genuine wiring from the premium manufacturers as wiring is the key requisite for any residential property.Tags: Wires and Cables Manufacturers