Many big factories, residential or commercial complexes are required to install fire suppression systems in order to acquire certifications and be compliant to various regulations set by the government of different countries.
A fire suppression system prevents fire from spreading and acts as a means to stop the fire. But, not all the suppression systems are same and not all will work in all conditions. This informative blog will throw light on the different types of fire suppression systems which are offered by fire protection systems suppliers India.
Gas-Based Fire Suppression Systems
- Use: A gas-based fire suppression system is used in case of fire accidents caused in rooms with electrical equipment like server room etc.
- Working: This kind of suppression system operates by releasing gases like Novac, CO2, etc. in a room so that the fire does not get the oxygen to spread and eventually runs of that.
- Classification: These are further classified on the basis of the gases used to suppress the fire. For example, Inert gas systems using Nitrogen, Argon, etc. or Holacarbon systems using Novac.
Water-Based Fire Suppression Systems
- Use: This type of suppression system can be used in case where fire is caused by fuel like wood, paper, etc. or situations where electrical equipment is not involved.
- Working: A water-based fire suppression system works by spraying water on the site. This starts when a fire alarm is triggered. The water can be sprayed with the help of sprinklers, hose, etc.
- Classification: These systems are classified with the speed that the water is sprayed. There are medium velocity systems or high velocity systems. Some premises prefer water sprinklers which are fitted on the ceiling and function as soon as the alarm triggers.
Foam-Based Fire Suppression Systems
- Use: This kind of fire suppression system works well in high-risk areas where drastic steps are required to control fire to avoid major mishaps. For example, oil and gas refineries, chemical industries, etc.
- Working: This fire suppression system works by spreading foam at the site of fire with the help of pipes, sprinklers, etc. The foam immediately extinguishes the fire.
- Classification: The foam-based suppression systems are classified according to the medium of spreading foam. There are portable systems that can be used to put out fire or there can be big installations with pre-fitted pipes that act in case of fire.
No matter which suppression system you select, an effective fire alarm system is a mandatory requirement. A good alarm system will trigger in case of fire and help you tackle the situation in a controlled way. You can select a time limit in your fire alarm after which the suppression system will act. This helps you understand cases where alarm is triggered because of cigarette smoke, etc.
It is equally important to maintain your fire suppression systems and the fire alarm. In some cases, even though these systems were installed, they did not work because these were not maintained or checked. Remember, fire accidents are emergencies and you don’t get time to set up things in emergencies.